Health and safety
Tembec is accountable for the safety of employees
Nothing is more important to Tembec than ensuring the health and safety of its employees. To do just that, we’ve established a Health and Safety Plan designed to ensure good health and safety habits and a safe working environment for everybody. But we also focus on being highly accountable with local programs that lower incidents, measure our performance and deliver results. As well, we invest in safety training to create a culture where people really look out for one another.
To ensure our accountability company-wide, our Environment, Health and Safety Committee also reviews and measures our health and safety performance and ensures that each of our business units complies with standards, legislation and our policy.
Health and safety policy
The purpose of this policy is to provide employees with a working environment that is healthy and safe.
This policy applies to all employees of the Corporation, as well as visitors and contractors. The Corporation also encourages its affiliates and the joint ventures in which it participates to adopt and apply this policy.
Overall Health and Safety Management ("OH&S Management")
- We implement work and production methods in all sectors of our activity to ensure protection of employees' health and safety, in accordance with applicable laws and other applicable requirements to which we subscribe.
- We give top priority to health and safety when planning or modifying our operations and constantly aim to provide a work environment free of any exposure to toxic substances or dangers.
- We provide the protective equipment and prevention facilities required to protect our employees' health and safety while carrying out their work.
- We inform and train our employees and provide them with all the information required on work-related safety and health risks.
- We encourage and support research to improve the health and safety of our employees. We develop and implement programs along with our employees to monitor health and safety and to encourage related improvements.
- We encourage employees to develop a sense of mutual responsibility regarding health and safety.
Self-policing and follow-up
- We collect, maintain and analyze the information required to allow us to monitor and conduct thorough checks of items related to occupational health, industrial hygiene and safety.
- We report regularly to our Board of Directors on the situation and conduct independent checks to ensure that our principles and guidelines are followed.
Commitment to health and safety performance
- We are firmly committed to the prevention of injuries and continual improvement of health and of OH&S management.
- We are firmly committed to improving our record of health and safety performance on a regular and continual basis.
- We are committed to ensuring that our health and safety performance complies fully with the standards set out in the applicable legislation and any additional requirements that we establish as we see fit.
Health and safety achievements
Safety plan delivers real results
Whether it’s in the forests, our mills or our offices, Tembec is committed to improving our health and safety record. Since the inception of our health and safety plan in 2007, we’ve reduced our OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Association) incident rate every year, including a 45% improvement between 2011 and 2013. To do that, our employees rolled up their sleeves and focused on strong communications, vigilance and teamwork to work safely.
Safety is a conviction for our CEO
Every safety incident which causes employees to miss work at Tembec means the facility manager must telephone our President and CEO, Jim Lopez. He takes a personal interest in ensuring that we can learn from our errors and improve our safety performance. His commitment and the involvement of senior management in ensuring a safer environment are at the top of our agenda.
Health and well-being come first
We help employees deal with personal issues, so they can give their best to our organization – and their families. Whether it’s trauma, financial stress or dealing with elders, our Employee Family and Assistance Program offers confidential support to guide people in the right direction. At the heart of our program is the desire to give Tembec employees the tools they need to improve their health and well-being.